Saturday, May 29, 2010

All I wanna do is have some FUN!

I can't believe how fast time flies. Its been about 2 weeks now since my last blog and OH MY--its been a busy couple of weeks! I've been super busy seeing patients in the clinic and working at my other work study job. (I'm reviewing patient files to help Palmer qualify for more Medicare benefits. It's not the most exciting job on campus- but it does have make me smile from time to time. For example- just the other day I was reviewing the file of a 65 year old woman who reported that she "smoked pot in the 60's but didn't inhale and hasn't done it since the 60's!" HAHA- gotta love the honesty of some people!) Anyway- this blog isn't meant for me to talk about my time on campus- it's to talk about ALL THE FUN YOU CAN HAVE IN THE QUAD CITIES!

It's Memorial Day weekend and it's time for me to get out of the clinic and class and to enjoy the holiday. It's beautiful weather here (about 82 degrees and sunny) and there are a lot of fun things on my agenda. If you read my profile, you may have noticed that I'm training for the HyVee Triathlon- which has been a lot more fun than I anticipated. Originally I thought I'd be logging training hours on the treadmill and on the trainer- but those times are few and far between. I've been out on the open road and training outside. I had no idea Davenport had so many trails to bike and run on. There's Duck Creek- which is about 14 miles and is ideal for running, biking or just walking your dog. There are always people around, and it's peppered with baseball fields and Frisbee golf along the entire trail. There is a trail along the Mississippi that is about 10 miles and it's easily accessible from downtown Davenport. It follows the river for the entire 10 miles and I'm always impressed (and really grossed out) at all the people fishing and the size of the fish they pull out of that river! Ewww! And then there's my favorite trail of all three... it's on the Illinois side of the river and it goes FOREVER! Last weekend my boyfriend and I biked 60 miles and didn't get close to the end of the trail. We passed restaurants on the river, quaint little towns and fun parks! I had no idea that there was so much to offer in the town! It's full of great trails and lots of health minded people. If you're into the outdoors- you'll feel right at home in Davenport!

Plus--- this weekend is the Quad Cities Criterion. HOW FUN?! Talk about motivation for my tri. There is a lot talent in the area (even someone that rode with Lance Armstrong in the Tour) and all the pro (and amateur) cyclists will be in town on Monday going for the win! I can't wait.... but now I'm off to do a swim in one of our local lakes!

As always- post a comment or email me (palmerbloggermary@gmail.com) if you have any questions about things to do outdoors here in Davenport! Hope you all have a safe holiday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment